Thursday, May 12, 2016

What's in a Name?

Lately, I've been absolutely obsessed with the beach. I just can't get enough sand or sun, and side I am blessed to live in a coastal climate, I can visit the ocean as often as my kids will let me load them up in my car. We build castles, splash in the surf, hunt sea shells and shark tooth fossils, and cause all sorts of ruckus!

Swimming, however, is an entirely different story! As a mom of two younglings, I don't quite fit the bikini bill anymore. With summer approaching faster than my winter fluff can melt away, I decided that a beachy crochet caftan dress was just the thing I needed to feel like a sea goddess once more.


Pinterest source

I hit up Pinterest immediately, and found tons of inspiration photos, but slim pickings for a pattern that fit my needs. So after pining over this Pin for a day or two I decided to take matters into my own hands and design my own! I'm enjoying the process so much that I decided to start a shop on Etsy to sell my crochet goods and patterns.

Setting up shop should be a breeze, but choosing the perfect name took longer than I expected. I wanted the name to capture the thrill of finding treasures along the tide line while soaking up the sun with family and friends- and I wanted to hide a little piece of myself in there, as well. I took a few days to mull it over with a friend who knows me better than almost anyone, and she suggested using my daughter Nessa's middle name, Pearl.  I thought it was fitting since Nessa is the recipient of most of my yarn binges! I paired it with my maiden name, Salter, and there it was! Salty Pearl Crochet.


Here's Nessa posing for pictures in the sun hat I made her last month. She took it off a few seconds later. (I'm working on making some bonnet straps to tie it down! Moms, I know you can relate.)


So far, I'm halfway through crocheting the dress. I'm loving it already, and can't wait to share photos of the finished product! I'll be putting the finishing touches on the caftan pattern in the next two weeks or so, if all goes well.

Until then, make a point to go enjoy the outdoors! Life always seems sweeter when you take time to find something beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment